They’re wearing sundresses and sandals but dreaming of knitwear and knee boots: Already, people on Pinterest are planning their fall wardrobes, with 13.6 million of them saving Pins about fall outfits, and millions more on the lookout for fall fashion (11.7 million), fall looks (9.4 million), fall styles (8 million) and fall hair (6.6 million).
And because they start saving next season’s styles three or four months in advance, we get a sneak peek at what they'll be wearing once those summer clothes are packed away. Generally, if we see a look trending on Pinterest, chances are good we’ll also see it out on the street. That’s because Pinterest is where the trendsetters are: 43% of our Pinners say that their friends turn to them for fashion advice!
As fall approaches, people are looking for everyday styles that stand up to the chill, like cozy sweaters and oversized turtlenecks, along with fall outfit ideas for both school and work. By October, they’re also searching for styles for special occasions, from fall fashion shows to winter holiday parties.
Here are the specific trends we’ve spotted:
- Rockstar style. Pins featuring rockstar booties increased 180% year over year. People are also after glam statement pieces that feature sparkles and metallics, which are up 138% from last year and show up in everything from gold bombers to opulent pleated skirts. And the rockstar vibe lives on in the hair and beauty category: Combing through 4 billion Pins, we found lots of metallic nail polish and bold, dark lipstick, a trend that’s seen a 40% boost year over year.
- Luxe textures and fall dresses. This season, suede mini skirts are giving way to velvet dresses. (No surprise: velvet is up 84% year over year). But velvet or not, dresses are doing well overall: People are holding on to the spirit of summer just a little longer as they search for that perfect fall dress.
- 90s nostalgia. Influential designers are making chokers and mini purses hot again. Statement chokers, seen on the runways of Lanvin, Balmain and Dries Van Noten, are up 194% year over year. Mini purses, meanwhile, are surging by 230% now that designers like Alexander Wang, Chloé and Mansur Gavriel have downsized their “it” bags for fall.
How to make these trends work for your business
Fall is a great time to reach Pinterest’s style-savvy audience. The majority of our users say Pinterest is where they go to discover fashion and style ideas (66%), find new brands (60%) and decide what to wear (58%). So how can you give them what they’re looking for?
- Incorporate these trends in your messaging, marketing and merchandising.Beauty brands, for example, can highlight fall’s dark lipstick colors and offer tips for how to wear them with other makeup.
- Save and promote Pins that embody these trends. Boost your impact by saving and promoting Pins that are already likely to appeal to your audience.
- Reach audiences more likely to be interested. When you promote your Pins, target interests like “fashion trends,” “celebrity style” and “street style” so your Pins show up in front of people who are into those topics. You can also create a lookalike audience to reach new customers and increase consideration of your brand and products with people who act similar to your current audience.
Keep an eye out for more fashion-forward content from Pinterest in the next few weeks—we’ll be bringing you reports from Fashion Week as well as trends to take you right through the holiday season!
—Stephanie Kumar, currently saving ideas to Fashion | Short and Sweet