Halloween is a huge holiday on Pinterest, second only to the winter holidays. We’ve already seen Pinners save 35 million Halloween ideas this year–and it’s only September! Pinners want to get Halloween just right. No matter what your business offers, you can join the conversation with inspiring ideas, actionable tips and creative hacks.
What’s top of mind as people plan for Halloween? Costumes, of course! Nearly 1/3 of Halloween Pins are dedicated to finding the perfect costume. Last year people saved 89 million costume Pins, spanning everything from DIY supplies to hacks to costume kits. Pinners tend to search broader terms and save many types of costumes early on. As Halloween gets closer, they’ll start narrowing down their options and tighten up their search terms.
To make your business stand out, think through your strategy before you start saving Pins. Here are 6 ways to make your costume Pins especially powerful:
- Sync your Pins with people’s planning habits: Share the bigger, more complicated ideas and corresponding supplies early in the season. As the big day approaches, save Pins with easy Halloween hacks and ready-to-wear costumes, like Target's off-the-rack costumes or Carter's easy toddler outfits.
- Think about what your customer needs: Does your brand serve lots of parents? You might want to feature kids’ costumes, like this Shimmer and Shine board from Spirit Halloween. Or, create boards that go beyond the solo costumer, like this couples’ costumes board from HalloweenCostumes.com.
- Target active Halloween Pinners: Use engagement or visitor retargeting to identify people who have already looked at Halloween content this year. Or use keyword targeting to reach people actively searching for Halloween ideas on Pinterest.
- Help Pinners embrace their creativity: Spark Pinners’ imagination, like Michaels does with its DIY costume board. Costumes made from household products are always a hit, and DIY round-up posts tend to trend. Don’t forget the nail art and makeup, too!
- Create costumes from fashion basics: Pinners love costumes that can be repurposed after Halloween. Costumes like this Minnie Mouse outfit depend entirely on basics, so it’s easy to reuse the outfit later on.
- Add ideas all the way up to the the big day: We see a big spike in traffic from Pinners who need an extra dose of last-minute help. Promote your costume Pins in the final days leading up to Halloween and use “last minute” in your Pin descriptions to reach time-crunched Pinners.
Costume trends are still heating up, but a few costumes have already cast their spell on Pinners. We’re seeing lots of saves for Pokemon Go, 90’s movie flashbacks and deer costumes so far! Keep your eyes on our blog for an updated list of costume trends as Halloween creeps closer.
–Liz Xiao, currently saving ideas to sugar, oh honey honey